Yet Aaron Taylor-Johnson, 32, was a far cry from the clean-cut appearance of the past 007s as he sported unruly locks and bushy facial hair on a stroll with his wife Sam, 56.
The lovebirds – who have been married for 11 years – cosied up close as they made the most of the balmy weather in London on Monday.
Aaron was virtually unrecognisable on the trip as he sported a moustache and sideburns, while his hair had grown out and been styled in a plait.
He kept his look casual in a black shirt and pinstripe trousers, accessorising with an LA Dodgers baseball cap and sunglasses.
Sam also kept her look low-key as she paired a black jumper with jeans while layering up in a khaki coat.
The couple met in 2008 when Aaron was cast as John Lennon in Nowhere Boy, which was Sam’s directorial debut.
They have two daughters, aged 11 and 12. Sam also has two daughters with her ex-husband, art mogul Jay Jopling.
The outing comes after Aaron was named as a contender for the role of James Bond after Daniel Craig bowed out of the franchise.
Although it’s been a year and a half since Daniel’s last appearance as Bond in No Time To Die – producers are taking their time when it comes to making their choice as this role will entail one of the biggest reboots the franchise has seen.
The Bond speculation comes after Aaron reportedly had a secret audition and remains the most-voted star for the role.
According to Puck New, Aaron sat down with producer Barbara Broccoli and sources claimed the meeting went ‘very well’.
In December, it was also reported that Aaron had shot scenes as the secret agent, filming the memorable ‘gun barrel teaser footage’ seen in the films over the years.
A source told The Sun at the time: ‘Aaron has impressed bosses so much that he has filmed one of the franchise’s famous gun barrel teaser scenes, something all the actors do. That move takes him a step closer to signing a deal.’
They added: ‘Bosses at the brand were really impressed with his unique blend of acting intensity and his impressive back catalogue of action films.’
However, the source went on to say that nothing was officially confirmed and it’s unclear what any next steps might be.
Meanwhile, other fans have been rooting for Henry Cavill, 40, to star as Bond – as he was previously considered and hope for a better outcome this time.
According to the Mail On Sunday, Barbara has made it clear she wanted the next actor to portray the character for 15 years, meaning that the 30-year-old is the perfect age to step into the role.
The two British heartthrobs have been contending for the win – but there’s one new star that joined the odd race for the 007 franchise.
Emmy nominee Paapa Essiedu, 32, is said to be the third most-voted choice for James Bond – as he threatens their lead.
The I May Destroy You star is now 3-1 to be the next James Bond, in joint third with James Norton, according to William Hill.