Despite the announcement from the paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF), clashes continued Friday north of the capital – and there has been no confirmation of a ceasefire by its rival Sudan Armed Forces (SAF).
Meanwhile, the World Health Organization (WHO) said Friday that the death toll in the country has risen to 413 people, with 3,551 injured since fighting broke out last Saturday.
One US citizen has also been killed amid the violence, the US State Department confirmed to CNN on Friday.
Speaking at a United Nations briefing in Geneva on Friday, WHO spokeswoman Margaret Harris said the casualties “not surprisingly … have increased.”
Speaking at the same briefing, UNICEF spokesman James Elder said that so far at least nine children were killed and at least 50 injured, adding that the number of child casualties “will continue to rise as long as fighting continues.”
Early Friday morning local time, the RSF had announced a ceasefire in a statement on Twitter, saying it was due to begin at 6 a.m.
The ceasefire comes just ahead of the Muslim holiday of Eid al-Fitr, which marks the end of the Islamic holy month of Ramadan.
“The truce coincides with the blessed Eid al-Fitr … to open humanitarian corridors to evacuate citizens and give them the opportunity to greet their families,” the RSF said.
SAF leader Abdel Fattah al-Burhan released an on-camera statement Friday morning, expressing sadness for victims of the fighting and praying for a peaceful Eid – but he made no mention of a truce.